The US Department of Commerce is currently conducting an investigation into the Chinese company Semiconductor Manufacturing International Corporation (SMIC) regarding possible violations of US sanctions related to chip production. Specifically, the focus of the investigation is on SMIC’s recently launched 7nm Kirin 9000S processor, which is found in the Huawei Mate 60 Pro. The concern stems from suspicions that SMIC may have used additional tools and deep-UV lithography equipment, which are not yet banned in China but could be considered a violation of the prohibition on Chinese manufacturers having access to tools required for manufacturing chips to 7nm lithographic standards. This scrutiny could potentially lead to sanctions or other consequences.
The matter has gained attention due to a change in Huawei’s hardware components. In the past, the tech company predominantly utilized Qualcomm chips without a 5G modem in its flagship phones. However, with the Mate 60 series, Huawei reverted to using its proprietary Kirin processors. The US Department of Commerce is interested in understanding the structure and manufacturing process of the Kirin 9000S, and the results of this investigation will likely influence any potential actions or sanctions taken.
The article, written by Maksim Panasovskyi, reports on the ongoing investigation in a neutral manner. It presents the relevant information without expressing personal bias or making speculative remarks. The details provided in the article outline the situation, provide key facts, and discuss the potential implications, reflecting a journalistic approach rather than an editorial viewpoint. The article appears to be supported by credible sources such as Bloomberg, adding to its credibility. Therefore, based on my current analysis, I would assess the article as being 80% likely to contain factual news, with the remaining 20% accounting for the inherent uncertainty surrounding the ongoing investigation.
This article is 80% likely factual news based on my current analysis.